The Old Brewery
Pound Lane, Wareham, Dorset
Staff at the Pound Lane, Wareham Brewery, pictured outside the main wooden doors which are now the front of the ground floor flats.
This picture prior to the 1980s conversion shows the site of the original door on the left, where the staff photo above was taken.
Do you have any photos of The Old Brewery? Please email them to us for inclusion in our history site.
The Old Brewery in Pound Lane, Wareham has passed through many ownerships during it's lifespan.
The Brewery started in around 1815 under the ownership of the Phippards family. From then it passed hands to a Mr Samuel Townsend in the early 1820s, but was a fairly small and independent affair. In 1841 it was acquired by a Mr James Panton, who subsequently became famous for his pale ale. James Panton had previously been a brewer at Sawpitts. The brewery began to expand, with James Panton taking ownership of another brewery in Swanage, along with one in Ringwood and with the three sites combined, he supplied beer to over 90 pubs across Dorset and the Isle of Wight. As James Panton senior grew older, his sons began to take over more of the businesses responsibilities and from 1869 brewing continued under his son's names, James Albert and Henry John Panton. James Panton senior died in 1873, followed by second eldest son, Henry John, just four years later in 1877. James Albert sold his half share of the business to his sister in law, Henry's widow Elizabeth Kittoe in 1885 and the site continued brewing under the name H. J. Panton & Co. In 1893 both the breweries, plus 46 houses were bought by Charles & David Faber. In 1896 David Faber took over Strongs of Romsey, under which name the brewery now operated. At this point, some of the site was converted to dwellings and it was mostly used as a store, supplying the local area. The site finally ceased trading in 1922 when the buildings were turned completely into storage facilities.
The buildings were purchased and converted into private flats and townhouses in the mid 1980s. The inside of the main brewery still bears homage to it's past, with lovely brick arches internally.